Pre-Employment Training Program
for Inuit Youth at-risk and/or who face barriers to employment
Instructor/Employment Coach Job Description
Performance Management Consultants is seeking an instructor for a 12-week training program this fall in Nunavut. This project will build on the success of the pilot project delivered in Baker Lake in the fall 2016. Learn more about the pilot project on this blog http://pmcrenewal.com/september-26-2016-2/
Working closely with a small team with the support of the Program Manager in Ottawa the Instructor will deliver pre-employment training to 16 Inuit adults who face barriers to employment. The goal of the training will be to increase 6 core employability competencies:
- Teamwork, Communication and Client Service;
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making;
- Reading, Writing and Document Use;
- Financial Literacy and Business Fundamentals;
- Computer and Technology Use; and
- Personal Resiliency & Stress Management.
Content and advance orientation will be provided. The instructor will also work with local employers to arrange site visits and guest speakers from local service providers to help participants strengthen their support networks.
All travel, accommodation and meal expenses are included. Our ideal candidate will:
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Have experience working with diverse populations (experience working with Inuit or other Indigenous peoples is a strong asset);
- Have experience working with either youth-at-risk, people with disabilities or those who face barriers to employment;
- Knowledge and experience with trauma survivors a strong asset;
- Enjoy working with others to build confidence, motivation, develop new skills and set goals;
- Have experience in group facilitation, program management and team leadership;
- Be able to adapt activities to meet a diverse set of existing needs, abilities, skills and interests;
- Be willing and able to live in a Nunavut community for the duration of the 12- week program (September-early December timeframe);
- Be able to connect with local employers to build strong relationships;
- Liaise with local Inuit Elders and traditional knowledge-holders to deliver Inuit culture components of the training;
- Have lots of energy to share;
- Have a “whatever it takes” approach to assisting participants make the transition to the workforce (enjoy going above and beyond to make a difference); and,
- Enjoy working in a fun, supportive and creative environment!
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Erin Strachan by email at email@example.com We look forward to hearing from you.
Please apply by May 11, 2017.